Thursday, February 16, 2012

Castle: Meet the first Nikki


There is nothing I like more in this whole world of television (except a great Tiva sexual tension moment of course) than a Castle two parter!  It began back in season 2 with Tick Tick Tick and Boom!  I mean they blew up Beckett's apartment!  Then season 3 had a two parter that made Beckett and Castle realize some very important aspects of their relationship.  They almost froze to death in each others arms and almost got blown up!  So history tells us they don't take their two parters lightly.  It helps that they always have a great guest star in these episodes.  This one began no different.

 This episode found Castle and Beckett being pulled into CIA headquarters where we met non other than Cara Strike herself.  Ok ok so no it wasn't Clara Strike CIA agent in the Derek Storm novels but it was her inspiration: Sophia Turner.  It was definitely clear from the first time we saw her look at Castle that there is some heavy history between the two of them.  It was also very clear that Beckett wasn't extremely happy about it.  Sophia enlists Caskett's help on a case of an agent gone rogue!  He's already killed once and from the looks of things he was going to do it again.  Her only request was that they couldn't tell anything to their team.  It would be treason punishable by death.

We also get a great conversation with Castle and Beckett.  I could describe it but aren't quotes way more fun

Castle: You're upset
Beckett: I'm not upset
Castle: Then what are you?
Beckett: I'm just a little bit uncomfortable with new command structure. I don’t like keeping secrets from my own people
Castle: You sure this isn't about Sophia
Beckett: No. Why would it be?
Castle Oh I don't know. maybe because I based a character on her
Beckett: Don’t flatter yourself Castle! It's not that big....
Castle: Good! Because Sophia is on our side, we are on the same team
Beckett: And that doesn’t concern you, you don't think that will undermine our unique cohesion?
Castle: Hey, I'm willing to let that slide in the interest of national security.
Beckett: Yeah, well I guess I am too . . .  It’s just I might have been a little taken aback to find out that you had researched with someone else.
Castle: Look, it was never . . . the way it is with you and me. I just hung out with her for a while to land some authenticity to Clara Strike, it was a brief moment, a long time ago. Besides, Nikki Heat is a far more complex and "nuanced" character. She is! And I’m a far more experienced writer.

I mean really!  How great is this conversation!  They are having this conversation about a relationship they aren't even in and I love it!  Anyway so Beckett gets more frustrated with the situation as she finds out that he followed her for an entire year!  Then as Castle seems to back Sophia up more than Beckett a rift is created.  Castle quickly cleans that up bringing his insight to Beckett before Sophia.  "You're my partner," he says.  This leads them to a meeting place where Castle agrees to let Beckett ask anything she wants about Sophia.  She denies wanting to know anything but after a moment finally asks how close the two of them were exactly.  This question goes unanswered as a connection to the case shows up.  This spirals us to the end of the episode.

They are talking in the car when they see birds flying off.  This spooks the man they are talking to and he jumps out only to get killed on the spot. Right after Castle and Beckett's car is pushed into the harbor.  We don't even see it hit the water before a "To be continued" sign shows itself and there we go.

Holy Cow!  So good!  The next episode we have to figure out how the two survive the fall, get free, and catch the killer before time runs out!  This is going to be good I can tell!

Here are two promos.  The first is the American one and the second is the Canadian!  Gotta check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment