Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Who's that girl? It's Jess!

After a long summer of re-runs and anticipation of new shows and new seasons, the weeks we have all been waiting for are finally here. And I would like to take this opportunity to kick it off by posting a tribute to what I believe is going to be one of my new favorite shows: The New Girl staring Zooey Deschanel.

Quick summary: Jess Day is a young woman who, after discovering her long-term boyfriend is cheating on her, moves into a loft apartment with three male roommates - prickly bartender Nick, womanizer Schmidt and intense personal trainer Coach. The guys try to help Jess get back on her feet and into the dating world. Written by Fox Publicity

My review: I love, love, love the first episode. (If you have talked to me in the past week you already know that) I laughed so hard I actually cried the first time I watched it. And I have watched it several times since then. It still makes me happy.

Top ten moments: (in no particular order)

Schmidt: I’ll be like your guide.

Jess: Like Gandalf through Middle Earth?

Schmidt: Probably not like . . . okay, first of all let’s take the Lord of the Rings references and put them in a deep, dark cave where no one is going to find them. Ever.

Jess: Except Sméagol. He lives in a cave.

. . .

Schmidt: You’re going to walk over there and you’re going to stand next to him and you’re going to smile. . . You’re not going to smile like that. . . You look like a hungry badger. . . Stop that.

. . .

Jess: I was going for a hot farmer’s daughter kinda thing. Like “Oooo, I'm going to go milk my cows . . . with my buckets.”

. . .

Coach: STOP IT!

. . .

Jess: (to Mom on the phone) No, I don’t think so.

(to Nick)Hey, are you going to murder me because you’re a stranger I met on the internet?

Nick: Yes I am.

Jess: (to Mom) He says "No," Mom.

. . .

Coach: (to the tune of I Had the Time of My Life) There’s bears in my house . . .

. . .

Peter: I like your glasses.

Jess: Thanks. They help me see.

. . .

Schmidt: We’re leaving in ten minutes. Did you shave your legs?

Jess: I will now.

Schmidt: Front and back?

Jess: Yes.

Schmidt: Thank you.

. . .

Nick: I have lived with a woman, as you know, and so I know that there are pros and there are real cons:

Pro – They smell nice.

Con – Every once in a while the mood changes and your not sure why.They will ruin your life if you let them. They will break down your will to live.

Pro- They’re really good at folding things.

. . .

Nick: We are her boyfriends. We are reverse Mormons. One man just isn’t enough for her.

1 comment:

  1. This was such a genius show! My question is who is the love interest. My money is on Nick only because Schmidt is looking too gay (he overcompensates). Now I first thought Schmidt but Jess and Nick had deep conversations and I just saw more there. I could be wrong. Other suggestions? Coach haha jk.

    ReplyDelete